Griddles are great for everything from pancakes to burgers. If your stove top or cooktop features a built-in griddle, you may use it frequently – even daily! To enjoy the best performance possible, it’s important to clean your electric griddle on a regular basis. Our guide can help you take care of this kitchen appliance so you can keep cooking your favorites.
Cleaning a chrome electric griddle – a step by step guide
If your stove top has a chrome infused griddle, following the instructions below will allow you to clean it properly. This will help maintain its appearance and performance characteristics without damaging the surface. For instructions on how to clean other types of griddles, check your Use and Care guide.
Cleaning Items Needed:
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 non scratch pad/sponge
- 1 multi-purpose pad holder designed for griddle cleaning or a long wooden spoon to protect your hands.
- 2 clean terry cloth towels
- 1 microfiber cloth.
IMPORTANT: Do not use soap, abrasive materials or cleaning chemicals, including stainless steel cleaner, to clean the chrome griddle as these may damage the griddle surface.
Griddle Cleaning Instructions
1. Prior to cleaning the griddle, be sure all cooktop burners have been turned off and the oven controls have been locked.
2. For best results, clean the griddle shortly after removing the food.
3. Set the temperature to 300°F and wait 10-15 minutes.
4. Using a measuring cup, pour up to 1 cup tap water over the soiled area starting at the back, allowing the water to run toward the drip tray in the front. Allow the water to bubble on the griddle for 3-4 seconds.
5. Use a pad holder or wooden spoon with the non-scratch pad to clean the soiled area, moving the residue and water to the drip tray at the front. It will be necessary to apply pressure on soiled areas. For heavy soils, it may be necessary to repeat this process.
6. Fold a damp towel and with the pad holder or wooden spoon, go over the griddle to remove remaining residue.
7. Turn the griddle off and allow it to cool, approximately 10-15 minutes.
8. Once cool, wipe the griddle with a clean, damp towel followed immediately by buffing it with a microfiber cloth. If streaking, rainbowing or ghosting occur, use a mixture of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water on a towel to wipe the griddle.
9. Once cool, remove the drip tray to empty. Clean the drip tray with warm soapy water. Wipe the area under the drip tray clean. Once dry, put the drip tray back in position.
To learn more about cleaning your griddle or to follow along, watch the video below.
HOW TO CLEAN A GLASS TOP STOVE
Keep your glass cooktop looking great with our guide. Learn how to clean a flat top stove with easy steps and simple tools.
HOW TO CLEAN GAS STOVE BURNERS, GRATES AND BURNER CAPS
Your gas stove works best when its burners are clean. Learn how to clean stove burners, grates and burner caps with our step-by-step guide.
HOW TO CLEAN A DISHWASHER
Cleaning a dishwasher can help maintain or improve its performance. Learn how to clean the inside of a dishwasher with vinegar or specialized cleaners.